What can I claim for;

If you use your own money to buy things that you must buy for your job  and you only use these things for your work, examples are;

Uniforms, work tools and clothing

Vehicles you use for work

Travel and accommodation expenses

Professional fees and subscriptions

Costs of working from home

Things to note;

  1. The claim must be submitted within 4 years of the end of the tax year that you spent the money. Ie you can make a claim for the tax year ended 5th April 2015, it can be submitted up to 5th April 2019.
  2. You must have paid tax in the tax year, you can only have a refund of tax paid.

How do I Claim?

  1. If the expenses are less than £2,500, per tax year, the claim can be made on-line.
  2. Expenses over £2,500 a self assessment tax return is required to be completed.

A comprehensive list of tax allowable expenses for the employed can be found at

For further help or assistance please call the office on 0191 4877601